Schedule to be determined depending on laboratories.
The principal and customary work of the employee in this employment class consists in assisting the teaching personnel in the preparation, presentation and supervision of laboratory work, field work and workshops within a Biology/Chemistry laboratory.
This employee provides support to students during laboratory, internship and workshop activities, in collaboration with the teachers, and performs the duties of a demonstrator, monitor and supervisor as needed.
- Performs all tasks required to adapt existing equipment to the demands of new technologies employed within the Biology/Chemistry department.
- Is responsible for the purchasing of parts, tools and equipment manuals for the repair of the equipment within the Biology/Chemistry lab.
- Is responsible for maintaining, sterilizing, and managing the cleaning of all PPE as utilized in the laboratory.
- Assists the teaching staff in the preparation of equipment, biology and chemical supplies for laboratory sessions and the clean-up after each session.
- Assists in the supervision of activities related to laboratory sessions, training courses or workshops.
- Maintains records of all technicians/visitors to the Biology Laboratory and associated preparation room according to the Centre for Biosecurity guidelines under the implementation of the Human Pathogens and Toxins Regulations.
- Is available for repairs during laboratory sessions.
- Assist in the clean-up of accidental spills in the Biology/Chemistry labs if need be and has knowledge on how to proceed in the event of any type (class) of hazardous chemical spill or, a CL2 biohazardous spill according to current legislation.
- Appropriately manages the temporary storage and subsequent disposal of hazardous and biohazardous waste in accordance with current federal, provincial, & municipal legislation.
- Minimum of a Cégep diploma (DEC) in an appropriate specialty, or attestation of studies whose equivalence is recognized by the competent authority.
- A Bachelor's degree in Science would be considered an asset.
- Must have previous laboratory experience.
- Knowledge and experience operating in a licensed CL2 Biology laboratory according to the Centre for Biosecurity under the implementation of the Human Pathogens and Toxins Regulations would be considered an asset
- Must be familiar with Biosecurity risk assessments according to the facility certification.
- Relevant experience with chemicals and biology preparations, storage and disposal of hazardous and biohazardous wastes.
- Must have or be willing to obtain Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) certification, First Aid, Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) and Biosafety trainings.
- Excellent communication skills in English is required, and fluency in French would be considered an asset.
- Must possess excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must have excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must be diligent, dynamic, creative and detail oriented.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, and have the ability to work as part of a team.
- Must be able to work effectively with respect to deadlines and produce accurate results.
- Must be flexible and able to adapt quickly to different situations.
- Must have excellent customer service skills.
- Must have a strong worth ethic and exercise discretion.
Interested candidates should submit their résumé, along with appropriate documentation ONLINE on our college website in the career page at http://www.cegep-heritage.qc.ca/manitou/.
Click on the job posting, then click on "APPLY". You will be able to create an account and upload your resume and cover letter.
Please note that only online applications will be considered.
N.B.: Candidates may be required to submit to selection tests. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.